CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 15, 2010

Awesome, wonderful, miraculous news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is most likely one of the best posts that I will EVER write!

First, let's recap the week that our family has had. 

Over the weekend, Maura started sneezing then coughing.  Her nose started running on Monday and by Tuesday morning, congestion had settled into her chest to the point that she stopped breathing twice.  I freaked.  I was able to remember the techniques that we were taught at Vanderbilt, so I knew to tap the bottom of her foot and then give her a light shake to see if she would take a breathe on her own - she did each time, thankfully.  She was breathing very shallow and rapid breaths.  She wasn't in duress, so in these situations, we have been told that it is better to get her to her doctors instead of the ER because the ER doesn't know anything about her past or her medical conditions.  She was tested for RSV.  This greatly alarmed me because we had already been told that if she contracted RSV, the chances were great that she wouldn't survive due to her fragile health.  In under a week, she lost around 6 oz.  On Wednesday afternoon, we found out that her RSV test was negative!

We were already struggling with her refusal to eat and have been basically force feeding her most days.  We have to hold both hands down and lay her in our laps and hold the bottle tight so it doesn't go flying through the air when her strong little hands break free and she starts swatting at it.  She only says "Momma" when she's mad or hurt - what I wouldn't give to hear her say my name with a smile on her face!  She says "Dada" constantly and when I try to get her to say my name, she only repeats "Dada" and laughs. 

Well, we had a sleepless night on Tuesday because we were so afraid she was going to start having trouble breathing but she didn't.  We headed back to Vandy on Thursday to meet with her cardiologist.  She had an echo done and then we waited and waited.  When the doctor came into the room, she was very serious and started questioning the dosage that I was administering Maura's heart medicine.  I was shocked as I am overly cautious with this.  We have a chart that we were given by Vanderbilt, and I follow that very, very closely.  It turns out that the doctor was wrong.  Apparently, one of the medicines, Coreg, was initially ordered by this doctor at 1/2 of the typical dosage for a child of Maura's age and weight.  This dosage was doubled at the appointment on 12/21 so that she is taking the typical starting dosage.  The cardiologist thought that she was supposed to be taking double what she was told to take on 12/21.  This was really freaking me out now because she took Maura in her arms and started mashing on her abdomen, listening to her heart and chest and then put her on the exam table for what seemed like an eternity to an overly anxious mother.  The doctor never holds Maura or starts examining her so thoroughly while at a routine appointment.  I could feel my own heart pounding out of my chest as I kept thinking that we were about to receive some really bad news.

Well, the doctor placed her back in my arms and sighed as she sat back down on her stool.  She said, "Well, I don't have a medical explanation for this but Maura's heart is almost within the normal range."  She said that is it within fractions of being normal both in size and function and that when compared to the Echo on 12/21, it is completely unbelieveable and compared to her initial echo the first part of December it was even more remarkable.  She said that Maura had made her day - especially considering the very low dosage she is taking of Coreg.  Oh, and she had gained 6 oz. since Tuesday and it wasn't water retention!  As for me, I was about to lose it right there in the room.  I said it was no medical mystery but that it was all God!  I was completely blown away.  We had had such a hard week that I was prepared for news but definitely not this AWESOME, WONDERFUL, MIRACULOUS news!  The day finally came - no more talk of heart transplants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




She said that Maura's heart medicine would continue to be increased over the next couple of months and then it would level out to a maintenance dosage for a period of time, maybe even years.  Depending upon how she does, it is quite possible that she could even start being around other people as early as April or May!  Maura loves other children and I think she's lonely - I know her Mommy gets that way sometimes - as even in the orphanage the nannies said that she would lay beside the other children and reach-out to hold their hands. 

This has been a week of revelations for us.  We have been working on our post-placement report for our adoption agency and that has caused us to really stop and evaluate our adoption, family, and overall life journey.  I realized that had we known about Maura's heart, we would not have accepted her referral as we would not have felt equipped to handle her special needs.  Had America World known about the condition, they would not have even offered us the referral.  The best part is that God knew all about it and He made sure that no one knew about it until she was home and able to get treatment.  It is so amazing to know that had she stayed in ET for even 2 more weeks, the Vandy physicians have stated that she would have likely died.  God's timing and plan is so remarkable! 




God has shown us that He always equips us at just the perfect moment.  He provides for all of our needs.  He also quilts the pieces of our life so that they all come together at just the right time.  This adoption journey has changed our lives drastically and as hard as some days are, we are thankful for each one.  Jason and I are praying about some serious changes that we are considering making for the Lord.  We feel very strongly that He has given us a strong testimony and that He is working in our lives and wants to continue using us.  There are quite possibly career changes coming down the line - we are excited, unsure, and seeking His guidance.  Right now, we know this - God is a wonderful, loving father and He will continue to guide our paths as long as we are earnestly seeking Him!  Adoption is such an amazing journey - our God is such an amazing god!

31 comments:

Karrie Rooley said...

Praise God! What wonderful news! She is so precious!

Brandy Mills said...

that is the most amazing thing I have ever heard! God is so good, SO GOOD! She will always be a part of my prayers, just as your family has been for a while. But, right now! YEY! :)

Jen said...

God is so good! Praising Him with you right now!

Matthew Monberg said...

Each night when I put Desta to sleep, I pray out loud for your little girl. That God would completely heal her heart! With tears in my eyes, I am rejoicing with you! Our GOD is good and what a story your dear precious girl has!

Melodie

Amanda said...

I am CELEBRATING! It is so awesome to see her gorgeous happy pictures. Praise the LORD at all times! We prayed and cried out and He has listened. As I write I am listening to the song, "Our God is an Awesome God!"

Ashley said...

Yipee yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Such good news!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashley

Lynn Drewry said...

Erica and Jason, there are no words adequate to express our joy for your family at this time. God is indeed blessing you in ways that only HE can do, and we're just thrilled at watching His work in that dear child's life....and in the lives of each of you in this precious family, whom we love.

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! Thank GOD! I knew she would heal. God IS in control. Your beautiful baby girl is on her way to health.

NeSheryl Williamson

Hollands said...

Wow! What a great testimony to the faithful God we serve. I am so happy to read this and have been thinking and praying for you guys. I haven't emailed (not sure if Gina has) b/c I thought you guys were probably inundated with questions and details associated with your beautiful girl. So glad to read this and look forward to hearing more about her as she grows and matures to be a godly woman that serves the purposes of God in her generation! Praise Jesus for His miraculous healing!

- Dave

Brad and Fran Hoagland said...

This is the news I have been waiting to hear! Our God is SSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!

Deena Miller said...

Terrific Reed Family!! Her pic in PINK is the most precious!! Praise God for you and your family and your testimony - WONDERFUL LORD WONDERFUL MAURA!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Reed Family, Our God is alive and He hears and answers prayers!!! Maura has proved this. We are so happy for you all. Just today a friend of mine who does the bulletin for Ward's Grove Baptist was asking about Maura as I had asked her to put Maura on their prayer list. I will be so happy to tell her this good news so that she can pass it along to the congregation there.
Much love, Jo Anne & Sammie

beBOLDjen said...

I have chills. I am soooooo happy to hear this news. I rejoice in the goodness of our God!

Jean said...

As we all know ... God is in the miracle business! Your call today totally made my day! Thank you so much, I really enjoyed talking with you .. please call me ANYtime!! We are praising God over here in East TN!!! What a glorious, awesome might God we serve! Can't wait for our girls to get to play together!! As soon as you get the 'go ahead', call me!

Many blessings,

JC

Unknown said...

Erica!!!!! That is just the BEST NEWS EVER!!!! :0) SO VERY EXCITED to hear this wonderful update! Our God is an AWESOME God with the most beautiful plans that we could never have dreamed of! I am SO THANKFUL that you all now know how your adoption story ends and your forever family begins!!! Oh, and the new pictures of Maura are ADORABLE!!!!! I just want to SQUEEZE her...SO PRECIOUS!!!! I love that you keep us updated with pictures of her! Take care!

Jaime

Christi Morgan said...

Erica!! I just sat here and cried when I read your update tonight. With everything that you have been through over the past couple of years, this is such a God thing. I am never ceasing to be amazed at His timing and His reasonings. I am rejoicing with you and Jason tonight! I can't wait to tell Mom in the morning!!

Kristin said...

WOW!! I am beyond thrilled for you and your family! Don't you just love when doctors shake their heads and can't explain a miracle? God is working in your family in amazing ways. God bless you all!!
Kristin Roach

crispy said...

Praise God for this fantastic report. I am thrilled to hear it!!! May He receive the glory.

cris

Kat said...

God is amazingly good, isn't He?! :) He knows so much more and sees what we need and what our lives should be like worshiping Him...sigh. Thank you for sharing how God has touched your family.

Debi said...

Our God is indeed AMAZING!!
Rejoing with you in His goodness and healing.
Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi

Rachel said...

This is amazing miracle news! So excited to hear this! We are rejoicing with you & can't wait to hear what else God has in store for your family!

jamullins said...

Praise God!!! So happy for you all!

Gina said...

Yeah God!!!!! So happy for you!

Mayme said...

What Fantastic News! Your girl has a smile that just lights up. We are so thankful for her healing! God Is SO GOOD.

ethiHOPEia said...

What a beautiful testimony! Praise the Lord!!!

Martha Young said...

You have made my day!!!! Thank you Jesus!!!
Love, Greg, Martha, Gracie, David, and Hunter

ReaganF said...

OH! This gave me goosebumps!! So happy for you all!! Praise God from Whom all blessing flow!!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Awesome! This news is amazing and you're right you do have a BIG story to tell.
God chose you and Jason specifically to be little Maura's parents:) Our God is so big and yet so very tender in dealing with us. I so admire your family and look forward to passing that little girl around to lots of loving arms here at church.

Tracy said...

God never ceases to amaze me!!! So happy for your family and sweet Maura! She is beyond beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Erica & Jason,

I am excited to hear the good news about the baby. We know God answers prayers. I can't wait to see her! I pray God continues to bless your family in a special way. Love you all.

Debbie Jessup

Anonymous said...

I am sitting her crying over this miracle our God has done!

Introducing Maura Rohama Reed - Oct. 22, 2009

Gotcha Day Video - We're a Forever Family!

Don't forget to mute the music player on the right side of the screen!  You won't be able to hear the video if you don't.  Thanks for viewing!