Last night, Ashton got his Daddy's leather belt (unbeknownst to either of us) and was acting like a cowboy with a lasso....well, he roped a cactus which fell over and knocked over a pot with several cacti in it that had very small pricklies. He had pricklies in his hands, his arms, and a few on his legs. We plucked Ashton for over 1 1/2 hours to make sure we he was okay. Needless to say, we missed church last night.
Now, I can't stand the cacti...they have been a sore spot with Jason and me since I got pregnant (well, actually since we got married but more importantly once I got pregnant). Typically, they are outside but we are having extremely cold weather right now, so they were out of Ashton's reach in the laundry room (but apparently not out of reach of his "cowboy rope"). After Ashton was cared for, then Jason and I found pricklies in our hands because of the cleaning-up of the mess that was made and having to stand them back up again. Ashton has never bothered the cacti and after last night's incident, I venture to say that he will never try to lasso one again!
It was absolutely horrible hearing him cry! Hopefully this incident will reinforce to Jason that I have been correct all these years in that a cactus belongs in a dessert and far away from a home with children! Jason said that I should have been watching Ashton better while he was in the shower getting ready for church but Ashton had been eating a sandwich and I was in the pantry looking for a cake pan. My thought is why was Jason's belt laying around where Ashton could get to it in the first place - it should have been in the closet hanging up....no one in the household is without blame to some part and secondly, accidents happen (thankfully no one was seriously injured).

0 comments:
Post a Comment