Wowzer, where do I begin? Today has been so emotional as we have shed tears of joy and sorrow. My morning began at 5:00 a.m. as I just couldn't sleep any longer. Every morning at this time, the Muslims start praying, so you can hear them all over the city - even through closed windows. I don't find it annoying at all and usually open the windows just so I can hear them. This morning I opened the window wide and recorded the sounds of early morning in Africa.
I also had a hard time this morning because I was thinking about my Mom - oh, how she longed for this day. I know that if she weren't already in Heaven, she would have been blog stalking all day for pics. My hope is that she was able to watch from Heaven today while holding our precious Julianna Ashure.
We began the day with a "paper party" - this is anything but a party! We all met in the lobby and then headed to the Hilton to prepare our paperwork for the US Embassy. Our appointment is on Wednesday but we have to complete the paperwork in advance. After the paperwork, we had a wonderful lunch and then loaded up to go meet our children!
Paperwork Party at Hilton Hotel
When we pulled up to the Transition Home, they opened the gates and we drove through. It was so surreal seeing the America World sign posted outside the big grey gates that I have seen so many pictures of over the last years. Last night, we worked-out a schedule for picture taking and videoing to make sure everyone received footage of the big moment.
When it came our time, they brought Rohama out as we waited at the foot of the stairs. She didn't smile but she didn't cry either - she just looked at us like we were crazy. I was already crying before it was ever our time, so I was an emotional wreck by the time the African coordinator, Duni, called our names. She was wearing one of the very first dresses that I ever bought her and sent in a care package! Yeah, no pink and white striped hooded outfit!
As they placed her in my arms, my heart overfilled with joy. Jason and I were both crying and kissing her little head and face. She was a trooper and let us kiss and cry over her. It was so amazing to finally be able to pray over our little girl! As the day progressed, she started smiling and even babbled some. We got to feed her a bottle and she even fell asleep in Jason's arms. Our hearts are so full tonight!
I know this is what you really want, so here are pics before I describe our day any further:
One thing that we learned this morning is that Maura Ruhama hasn't been feeling too well since Nov. 19. She has been throwing-up and having diarrhea. Fortunately, according to the nurse and doctor, she is doing better but they are giving us special formula, electrolyte supplement, and diarrhea suppositories to last us until we get home. Please pray that God will touch and heal her little body so that she will feel better quickly!
We were quite alarmed when we got to the paperwork party and were told about her illness, so immediately Jason and I bowed our heads and prayed for her. I can't even begin to explain to you the panic that I felt. Fortunately, she was doing better than we had been told to expect, so that did help our meeting go a little better as our fears were aleviated at least to some extent. We are still praying very hard that God will heal her and that she won't have any trouble with the transition from the orphanage to our home. Tomorrow, we bring her with us forever! We are hoping to be able to talk with Ashton tonight as we miss him so much - we can't wait for him to meet his sissy!
One thing that we found out today was that one of the nurses/nannies caring for Rohama also cared for Ashure. Through tears, she told us how much she loved Ashure and that she was devastated when she passed away. She was with her to the very end, and that makes my heartache a little lighter as her love for our daughter is still so evident today. I have prayed and prayed that God would surround my babies with loving nannies and He just keeps showing me how He has answered my prayers. Our God is so good!
The nanny kept a close eye on us with Rohama - especially when we were feeding her - and was so helpful in telling us how she likes to be held, fed, cuddled, etc. She said that once Ashure passed, she clung to Rohama as her heart was broken and Rohama helped her heal - just as she is helping us heal too. I have a very special gift for this nanny tomorrow and I can't wait to give it to her. I know that it will be very difficult for her to say goodbye to Rohama. Frankly, I think it will be very difficult for the other nannies in her room as they too closely watched us today and kept calling out her name and making her smile...they truly love her.
She kept playing with the rattle from Counsins Hannah and Hailey
Mommy couldn't wait to put a headband on her, and she didn't fuss a bit about it!
She's already got her Daddy wrapped around her finger.
Bye bye pink and white hooded outfit!























25 comments:
Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!!!
We will pray for Maura to be healed. Just getting her away from the tap water should help some. Charis had diarrhea with the two bottles I fed her from the transition home. We switched to our formula and bottled water--no more diarrhea. I realize Maura has something else going on since she's throwing up. We'll leave it to the Great Physician.
Enjoy that precious girl! Tomorrow you get to keep her. Woo hoo!
Gina
YEAH! I am so excited to see that beautiful girl in your arms! Praying for quick healing for her and that you might get a litle sleep tonight! ;) I am so greatful she has been so loved on by the staff there! What a blessing! Enjoy and cherish EACH moment!
Much love to you!
Love to see the pics of the family! She looks so different from when we saw her...much bigger and has put on some weight. Sorry to hear about her sickness. Our prayer is that she's on the up and up and you'll be back tomorrow and things will be even better than you could have imagined. God's blessings on your day tomorrow as you get her 24/7! So excited for you guys...thanks for taking the time to post the pics, I know how long the internet takes at the guest house!
- Dave
Praise the Lord! She is absolutely a heart breaker! I love her expressions! I had to laugh at your blog stalking comment. I guess that has been me today too. I've been checking every hour since four this morning! We are praying for her health. Sailor says "Congratulations, and I really like her head band!"
We can't wait to see you all home!
Awesome. Just awesome. I am so happy for you guys. Enjoy the rest of your stay, and safe travels home. See you soon!
Robert and I are here in Kiev and we are crying, laughing and praising God as we look at these beautiful pictures! She is such a wonderful blessing and it fills our hearts to see you holding her! We are praying that she is better soon and that your trip home with her is smooth and quick. God has blessed you and I know she was worth the wait!!!
Kelly Daniel
She is so precious. I know you are both so excited. She is definitely getting 2 great parents and a great big brother. We prayed for you all as a class yesterday morning. Joy and I are praying for Maura to feel better. I have also sent out an e-mail to the entire Sunday School class and asked them to pray. Congraulations. We llok forward to meeting Maura soon.
This is from e1 waiting at the hospital. We r hving to use my phone and it is challenging. We were so excited to see the pics and hear the story. We all think she is perfect and beautiful!!!!!! We can't wait to see her, hold er and kiss her!!! We pray she feels better soon. Uncle Larry is doing well and I am trying to wait until he gets in the rio
so I can show him the pictures of his newest granddaughter. I know she will lift his spirits! We love all of you!!!!
Angie
(Aunt Ne, Aunt Chelle, Nana and Uncle Don)
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOORAY!!!!! Thank you, Lord! She is so perfect! I can't wait to squeeze her and kiss her!
Thank you, Jesus, for Maura's precious nannies. . . what a blessing they are!
Ashton says: I love you and miss you and I am happy. Give Maura kiss for me, and I am being good. I fired Mr. Aaron for beating me in arm-wrestling, and fired BoBo and PaPa, too. Went to the football game. Love you!
Leigh says: She is soooo beautiful, can't wait to see y'all on Saturday.
Dear Ones,
I am praising God that you are holding this sweet, sweet child in your arms. I cannot wait to meet her!
We continue to pray for you and for little Maura Rohama. I am especially prayerful for her to be healed quickly and thoroughly so all of you will have an easier transition and trip home.
God is GOOD! What an incredible Thanksgiving He has given you this year!
Love you all,
Terry Deason
Crying tears of joy for you! She is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations! I will help pray her home!
YAY!!!! The waiting is OVER!!! Praise be to God for His goodness!!
Praying for her healing and strength and for the bonding time. Enjoy getting to know your precious daughter of promise.
Believing with you that your sweet mom is loving on Julianna and celebrating with you as you recieve Maura into your own arms.
Praying blessings over the wonderful nannies.
Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi
Maura Rohama is absolutely gorgeous!
I've been checking the computer all day. I know it has been hard for your family at the hospital. So glad they could use Angie's phone.
Technology -- Wow! Just to think that we are seeing pictures of what happened today half way around the world!! We pray for Maura's healing and for a restful night for you all. Hope Maura feels well enough tomorrow for the three of you to really enjoy the day. Thanking God for His goodness and for wonderful people like the two of you. I'm going to try to print some of the pictures.
Love to you all, Jo Anne & Sammie
Thanks for sharing these precious private moments with us, I can see how happy you are. Try and get more rest tonight if that's at all possible :)
Jason and Erica,
I write this with tears of JOY running down my face! Our Lord is SO AWESOME and His hand is all over this journey you have faithfully followed! YOUR daughter is a BEAUTIFUL, PRECIOUS sight cuddled in your arms!!!! Gotta go...I want to look at the pictures again!!!!
Jaime
She is so beautiful, these pictures are just beautiful!! I am so happy for you guys! Your family is in our prayers, I pray that Maura heals very quickly and that you all have a safe and wonderful trip home! Love you guys! Faran
AWESOME - PRAISE GOD!
In His Love,
Amy
God is good, Mrs. Erika, so good! Of course, I am crying tears of joys after seeing your beautiful photos. The one with her in the head band...WOW....the moment is here!!! I hope you have an amazing day and that she feels better!
She is beautiful. Those eyes and lips are so pretty! The headband was perfect:) We are praying that she will be well soon and that the transition goes smoothly. NOTE to JASON: Bo says he will alert ToysRus that there is a new dad in town. Those girls just do something to these dads! Congratulations. You are in our prayers.
I am sooo happy for your family!! Congratulations!
Oh Erica! What a little princess she is!! Praying right now for her complete health and His peace to wash over you! Praising God that she is in your arms!!
Oh my heart is full. What a wonderful, wonderful day! Praying that she will fully get over all her issues before your ride home! Blessings!!!
Melodie
Jason, Erica and Maura,
I am so excited that this day has finally arrived. I pray God continually pours out his blessings. I know that God has chosen you all for one another. I can't wait to see you all!!!
Hopefully this gets transmitted..3rd attempt.
Erica & Jason your faces tell the whole story and your patience in God's timing. Maura first looks were " who are the slobbering people" to " I know he's my daddy and I am safe & taken care of." Beautiful. All of the nanny's had looks of deep concern on their faces and were trying to judge whether you would take good care of their babies.God's blessing on all of you & safe trip home.
Post a Comment