Well, Maura Rohama slept great last night. She finally took a bottle mixed 3/4 with F-100 and 1/4 Enfamil Lipil - we think she cooperated out of starvation as she has refused an identical bottle since 4 a.m. today. We've mixed vanilla flavoring with it to enhance the taste but she still refuses to eat. We are now trying Good Start, so we'll see if she's gets hungry enough later to take that - right now, she refuses that as well. We are almost out of F-100, so she's going to have to eat something else soon. We are working with a nutritionist, so hopefully we will get this resolved soon.
Right now, Maura Rohama is lying in her bed and watching "Nemo". She is babbling and blowing bubbles. She is very happy and content, so that definitely helps lift our spirits. Here's some phots of Vandy's perplexing patient:
As she continually reaches up and plays, nurses and doctors keep saying, "She doesn't appear sick!" Well, we're still praying for miracles and healing, but in the meantime we are loving our adorable, playful blessing!
Don't come near her with a lab tray or she looks at you like this. She is becoming very wary of new people!
One thing that I failed to mention yesterday was that we have been warned that she does not need to be exposed to a lot of people right now. Dr. Fish, a cardiologist, stated that we must keep her away from church, social outings, neighbors, visiting family, etc. for right now. He warned us to keep her visitors to a minimum until we can determine the root cause of her problem and see how she's going to respond to treatment. So, I know lots of you want to meet her, but right now, we are asking that perhaps you call or e-mail to check on her in lieu of visiting....this is VERY hard for me as I am so excited to show her off, but we must protect Maura Rohama's health. Even the tiniest sniffle or runny nose or sore throat could prove fatal to her right now, so we appreciate your cooperation and understanding.
So, I called my landlord for my office and my practice is shutting down for a little while. I will be moving my office home at the end of December so I can focus my attention on my children. I appreciate your prayers on this as we depend on my income as well but we are trusting God to provide - He always does. Hopefully once Rohama is doing better, I can resume practicing mostly court-appointed cases for awhile and start to rebuild my practice. I'm praying that God will give me direction, and I would appreciate your prayers about this as well. This is such a scary time for my family but we are walking in faith and are expecting wonderful blessings from God and we know that He will provide for our every need.
Last night, I broke the news to my grandmother that we will likely not be at our family Christmas gathering this year...this just breaks my heart but it is necessary in order to protect Maura's. She said that she understood but I could hear the sadness in her voice. We will also most likely miss the gathering for my father's side of the family which proves to be very frustrating because Dad has rented the facility for all his brothers and sisters and we were supposed to be heading it up. I guess delegating is going to be used quite a bit to pull the function together without our actually being there!
Well, the team of doctors is supposed to come-in soon, so I must bathe and get ready for whatever today brings. It's a beautiful day in Tennessee, so let's see what God has planned for today!



20 comments:
Wow. David and I were talking last night about how well she's doing for being so "sick." God just seems to be really sustaining her, as He has all these months. I'm looking forward to seeing how He provides for you through all this--and now with your income situation changing--this is going to be good, Reeds. I remember posting once that you were going to have faith of steel when the adoption process was over. I guess steel isn't strong enough, so your faith continues to be strengthened by our good God. I asked David the other night, "I wonder what God has planned for Ashton." What he is experiencing through all this will make him a different man than he otherwise would be. God's work. Amazing.
Well, since you've been watching Nemo, I'll end with this: just keep swimming!
Love you guys!
gina
Hi Erica, Mayme gave me your blog address.
I am praying for Maura, Ashton and you and your husband. I am so sorry for the news.
We brought our daughter home from China in Sept. 08 with a very serious heart condition. She was admitted to Vandy the day after we got home and had open-heart surgery a week later. I know what you're going through in that respect.
I know you don't want visitors now and YOU ARE SMART to do that and put it on your blog. But if I can come and sit with you at any time (even in the cafe or somewhere), please let me know. I asked Mayme to share my contact info. with you if you want it.
Our daughter has a complicated condition and she came home at 3 with no repairs. I sort of laughed at your comment about the doc rushing in as that happened to us too several times. They expected our daughter to be crashing as her oxygen levels were in the 40s and 50s, but she was just used to it.
Our daughter's cardiologist is Dr. D--le, and her surgeon is Dr. B--hell. We LOVE THEM BOTH! I have heard wonderful things about Dr. F. as well. Really, we have loved everyone we've encountered in cardiology. You are in good hands with the doctors. And about the tech, GOOD FOR YOU! Send 'em packing I say if they are mean to my baby girl. No excuse for that!
Let me know how/if/when I can help in any way.
Leslie (roomforatleastonemore (dot) blogspot (dot) com
cljjs (at) yahoo (dot) com
PS. We are with AW adoption as well, and in the midst of another adoption! Life is crazy and scary at times, but all good!
Dear Jason & Erica,
The pictures show that Maura Rohama has already blossomed so much under your care just in the week that you've had her! I know that GOD will continue to hold her in His mighty hands.
Love & Blessings,
~Sarah
Erica, Oh I know so well that quarentined feeling. It is best for these little ones and it does go by fast. I also found that when I had to stay at home with Desta, it forced me to concentrate on her. I don't think I would have spent those HOURS of time otherwise. I am praying for your family. I was up every hour last night (Desta slept through the night for the first time but I was up worrying she wasn't breathing!) and prayed for you, Jason and Ashton so many times. I prayed especially for that sweet baby girl of yours.
(The Wing family who traveled with us had the same formula issues with Silas. He REFUSED anything other than the F 100. I can give you Amber's information if you'd like to talk to her about what they did.)
Hang in there. There is a reason for everything. I am looking forward to seeing the reason.
I'd love to post an update on my blog. When you know more, can I do so?
Thanks!
Melodie
I havent been on blogs lately and been watching FB and just saw your post. Then I went to your blog and read several of the last days. I just kept reading with a sick feeling in my stomach thinking this just CANNOT be happening! I am just sick for Maura and your entire family. I pray ferverently that she will pull through this somehow, with Gods help. And for your entire family. Will check back often for updates. Hang in there.
She is such a happy little girl! What a blessing!! I am so thankful that the drs have seemingly been right on top of her condition....couldn't have been done without God's hand and perfect timing. I know you guys are exhausted, scared, and happy all at once. You all are continually in my prayers. God is so good and he will continue to hold all of you in his hand. I won't come visit as your post yesterday requested, but I'm just a phone call away if you guys need anything.
Big, big hugs!!
Andrea
She is such a beautiful baby girl, and she looks as healthy as can be.
Erica, I'm praying for Maura Ruhama this morning. I loved the photos. She is simply a doll!! Thanks for the updates as I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting anxiously for any new news about your sweet little girl.
Jason & Erica, How our hearts go out to you! We believe that God is watching over beautiful little Maura and her new family. We believe He will heal her just as he healed you. This does give you lots of bonding time as a family, although it is not the type of time you would wish for; but God knows best. You are a great example of Christian faith. We love you. Please call on us if there is anything at all that we can do to help. Much love, Sammie and Jo Anne
I love you guys!! I hate sitting here helpless! I wish I could come scoop all of you up in a big hug. Reed talks about his new cousin constantly and can't wait to see her. I pray the doctors bring in good news today. Give the sweet angel girl a kiss for me!!
Oh Erica I am praying for sweet Maura and all of you! I'm telling you that God has an amazing plan for your family through adoption--- your opposition is totally defeated!! She is so beautiful! We can't wait to meet her when she's ready for visitors!! Much love from all of us!
Erica, I am thinking about you and Maura all day. IF you need me to pack up your office let me know and I will happy to help in anyway I can. I was wondering if you could put Karo syrup in her bottles. I do that for Trent and it makes the formula taste sweeter. not sure that it is a good idea but maybe you could ask. My mind is just thinking of anything that I can do to help. I know that you have the strongest backing of family and friends as well as the support from above. I know that your mom is with her every minute protecting her. remember that she has a guardian angel with her at all times. All my love! Rachael
Praying for you constantly. Hope to hear good news today.
Julie
Erica,
We're continuing to pray for all of you. When we brought our Layne home, as a foster baby, she was SOO sick and needed several surgeries. The time advocating for her in the hospital helped us develop our deep love for her. God used it in a mighty way to bind our family together.
We are praying for you Rohama...and your mommy and daddy, too.
Laura Hoffman
Erica & Jason,
You're in the best place, even though I'm a little biased. Dr. Fish is wonderful! He and the rest of the Children's will take great care of you!
Rachel Nickens Ward
Erica,
Thanks for the update.
I am still praying for little Maura and your family as you continue your journey of faith in the next chapter.
Believing that as we prayed, the healing was done. Praying for a fresh infusion of faith, grace, hope and peace for you each moment. Lastly, I am praying for a huge appitite for Maura and the digestive capacity to deal with it.
Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi
Erica,
Maura is just the SWEETEST, SMILEYEST...if that is a word...little girl! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you are sending out pictures and updates of the little girl we have all been praying for for a while now! Just give her all the hugs that we all want to give her and that will be good! :0)
Continuing to pray-
Jaime
Just found out the news. We are praying for you guys...peace, strength, healing! Give that little angel a hug and kiss from me. Blessings to all of you.
Martha Young
Post a Comment